Saturday, November 20, 2010

Idioms from Colors

The letter came out of the blue! I wasn't expecting it. But there it was in black and white, signed by the bank manager. I had no money in my checking account. I was in the red.
I couldn't believe it. So I went to see the manager. We looked at the problem together. The bank had made a mistake. It hadput ten dollars into my account instead of one thousand dollars!
Because it was the bank's mistake, there was no delay reopening my account. The manager cut through all the red tape. Now I had money in my account. And I had the green light to write checks again.

out of the blue - by surprise, unexpectedly
in black and white - in black and white
in the red - owing money, in debt
red tape - complicated official procedures and forms
the green light - the okey to start something

No comments:

Post a Comment