Thursday, August 4, 2011

Connecting Two Ideas

Structure:
subject/verb/object

Example:
In Iraq, the temperature (subject) is (verb) 45 (object).



If we have two complete ideas, we can make one sentence, but we need to connect the ideas with a clause or a conjunction.

Example:
In Iraq, the temperature is 45.
This surprised me.

OR

In Iraq, the temperature is 45, AND this surprised me. (connecting with a conjunction)
In Iraq, the temperature is 45, WHICH SURPRISED ME. (connecting with a clause)



Please correct this sentence.
1. I'm from Indonesia it will surprise you to know about Indonesian food.



There are many ways to say this:

1. I'm from Indonesia. It will surprise you to know about Indonesian food.
2. I'm from Indonesia, and it will surprise you to know about Indonesian food.
3. I'm from Indonesia, which has a lot of surprising foods.
4. I'm from Indonesia, a country with a lot of surprising foods.



1. Run-on sentences -- A complete idea is one sentence. You can connect two complete ideas by using a conjunction or a clause.
‎2. We want to be careful to put an "s" on plural nouns. Some phrases are always used with plural nouns -- a lot of, many, one of, different, etc.
3. Capitalization -- The first word of every sentence is capitalized. "I" is always capitalized, but "you" isn't (unfortunately). Our country is important, and we show this by capitalizing it. Our language is important, so we capitalize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment