Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pharasal Verb - 4

clog...up
Don't pour the bacon grease into the sink - you'll clog the drain up.
Adjective: The mechanic told me the valves in my car were clogged up.
get ahead
With your pessimistic attitude, you'll never get ahead.
get back to
I'm really busy now. Can I get back to you?
get (up) (back) on (with)
If you get up on that chair, you'll be able to reach the top shelf.
The children got back on their bikes and went home.
The bus stopped so I could get on.
Get your coat on; we're going for a walk.
I didn't say you could stop. Get on with your work.
get...to
When you get to Tokyo, call me to tell me you arrived safely.
get (up) (back) to
It must have gotten up to 100 degress yesterday.
My boss told me to get off the phone and get back to work.
After seeing the bright lights in the sky, I got to wondering if UFOs really exist.
Timmy was excited because he got to ride a pony.
Let's sit down and rest; the heat is getting to me.
hang on (to)
I feel off the horse because I wasn't hanging on tightly enough.
Judy's coming to the phone now; please hang on.
start off (with) (by)
The singer started the concert off with a song from her new CD.
Many speakers start a speech off by telling a joke.
The day started off nice, but then it rained.
throw...away
If you've finished with those papers, please throw them away.
If you don't forive your husband, you're goign to throw your marriage away.
close...down
The ski resort will close down on May 1st.
knock...out
The boxer knocked his oppenent out with a blow to the head.
Marsh really knocked hersel out cooking that fabulous dinner.
The enemy's radar station was knocked out by a 500-pound bomb.
Noun: At the count of ten, the referee declared a knockout.
Have you seen Sam's girlfriend? She's real knockout.
look down on
Some people look down on Hank because his father is in prison.
look up to
I've always ooked up to my father because of his honesty and kindness.
put...back
After you finish listening to my CDs,please put them back.
The hurricane put the construstion project back at least three months.
The graduation date will have to be put back if the teachers' strike doesn't end soon.
Did you see how much David drank last night? He sure can put them back.
switch...off
I witched the engine off and got out of the car.
Adjective: Last night the light in the hallway was switched off, so I fell down the stairs.
switch...on
Push this button to switch the computer on.
Adjective: When I drove by the restaurant, I noticed that the sigh wasn't switched on.
throw...out (of)
Don't throw the newspaper out, I haven't read it yet.
Frank started a fight and got thrown out of the bar.
beat...up
Tommy got beaten up at school today.
Adjective: My car is on old, beat-up piece of junk.
carry away (with)
You should always start a new exercise program slowly. If you get carried away with it, you might hurt yourself.
kick...out
David drank too much and got hmsel kicked out of the bar.
lock...up
We always lock our house up when we go out.
The police locked Hank up when tey caueght him shoplifting.
Adjective: You can't get into the house - it's all locked-up.
Being locked up in jail was a terrible experience.
Noun: Omar was out in the lockup after he was arrested for DWI. (driving while intoxicated)
mix...up
An electric mixer will mix the ingredients up better that a spoon.
Newborn babies occasionally get mixed up in the hospital.
Adjective: Jimmy is a mixed-up kid who gets in trouble with the police a lot.
Noun: I think there's been a mix-up. I asked for chicken salad but this is tuna fish.
piss...off
You'd better stop that! You're pissing me off.
Adjective: Melanie got really pissed off at Heather for borrowing her necklace without asking and then losing it.
rip...off
Hank got ripped off by the drug dealer.
Noun: I paid nine dollars to see that awful movie. What a rip-off.
stress...out
Having that new manager around watching me all the time is really stressing me out.
Adjective: I had to make a speech today and I was so stressed out afterwards that I had to take the rest of the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment